KINGSVILLE, Texas — The Kingsville Police Department's Street Level Operations Team found more than $100,000 in cash during a traffic stop on Tuesday, Dec. 7.
Investigator Michael Chavana was patrolling Highway 77/Interstate 69 when he pulled over a small sedan for a traffic violation, officials said. Officials said there was probable cause to search the vehicle.
During the search, Chavana and Officer David Jenkins found $114,371 in cash, which was "wrapped in a manner to conceal its presence from K9 narcotic detection," officials said in a statement.
Emilio Cortez, 20, and passenger Humberto Sequeda, 21, were both arrested for Money Laundering $30K under $150K which is a third-degree felony in the State of Texas.
Investigators also found a container of THC oil inside the vehicle during the search. The possession of THC oil under one gram is a State Jail Felony in the State of Texas.
Want to send us a news tip?
Put your name and contact information below so we can get in touch with you about your story should we have questions or need more information. We realize some stories are sensitive in nature. Let us know if you'd like to remain anonymous.
If you do not have a photo/video to submit, just click "OK" to skip that prompt.
For the latest updates on coronavirus in the Coastal Bend, click here.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- Jury awards family of drunk driving victims more than $301 billion after suspect was overserved at Corpus Christi bar
- 'Crime Stoppers tip' leads to seizure of 24 marijuana plants, two arrested
- Operation Heat Help: Qualified residents can get up to $100 credit a month on natural gas bill this winter
- Texas A&M University-Kingsville professor explains redistricting lawsuit filed against Texas
- Woman arrested after pulling gun, threatening to shoot others over parking spot, police say