CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Over 90 Texas baseball teams are all in the Coastal Bend playing in a massive tournament, for one reason and one reason only; cancer awareness.
"The awareness part for me would be for me would be for everyone listening to go get your annual check ups," said Todd Akers, the Head Baseball Coach of Tuloso-Midway.
About a year ago, from one blood test, Akers found out he had stage four prostate cancer.
"I had no symptoms whatsoever, you know?" he added.
For Rigo Rios whose kids play ball, baseball is more than a game it's a gift.
"Lot of flashbacks of when my dad used to watch me play baseball because I was a baseball player too. That's what brings us here," said Rios.
Rios lost his mom and dad to cancer, so this tournament isn't about a win or a loss, but support.
"When we lost our dad, as a family, we supported each other as far as my brothers and sisters and helped each other. To me, that's personal. That's why we're here," Rios added.
The tournament will run through Sunday evening. Coach Akers said he hopes TM can host next years event as well.
Want to send us a news tip?
Put your name and contact information below so we can get in touch with you about your story should we have questions or need more information. We realize some stories are sensitive in nature. Let us know if you'd like to remain anonymous.
If you do not have a photo/video to submit, just click "OK" to skip that prompt.
For the latest updates on coronavirus in the Coastal Bend, click here.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- Kingsville police officer shot in line of duty dies of injuries
- City of Corpus Christi offering homebuyer down payment and closing cost assistance up to $35,000
- Aransas Pass ISD student shot, killed by Corpus Christi police after school threat, hit-and-run crash
- Flounder fishing temporarily suspended as of Nov. 1
- NAACP urges free agent athletes to avoid signing with Texas teams
- Texas State Aquarium begins national search for new CEO
- Why it's more important than ever to get the flu shot this year
- Grab the family! CC Movie Nights at Whataburger Field is back