This year's Coastal Bend Day of Giving supports 50 area nonprofits on the forefront of assisting those in need, and Mission of Mercy Inc. is one of them.
From Mission of Mercy Inc.:
"Mission of Mercy provides free healthcare to the uninsured working poor in the Coastal Bend and surrounding areas. Our mission is to restore dignity, 'Healing through Love' by providing free healthcare.
We do this from our new 14,000-square-foot Mission of Mercy Medical Center, 2421 Ayers Street, across from Del Mar College, and our mobile clinic site in Sandia. At our clinic site, we partner with volunteers to provide diagnosis, treatment, and health information and see patients regularly for as long as they need our services. Our patients are people who work, cannot get health insurance, and cannot afford to pay for healthcare on their own.
- We provide free diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care to approximately 1,500 patients which is about 4,270 free patient visits annually. (2017-18 fiscal year)
- Medication Assistance -We enroll patients in indigent drug programs run by pharmaceutical companies so they are able to get their medications at the lowest rate possible.
- New- We now provide a free eye clinic and deeply discounted eye wear in partnership with Layton Optical.
- New- We now provide free behavioral counseling in partnership with The Ecumenical Center.
- New – Diabetes Education and Healthy Cooking Classes
- We provide approximately 13 clinic days per month, with late afternoon/early evening appointments two to three times a month and two to three mobile clinic days in rural Sandia.
Patients who require specialty services are referred to specialists in the community who treat our patients at no charge. We also receive free testing and imaging services from hospitals, private labs, and imaging centers. Our collaborators include Amistad Community Health Center, CHRISTUS Spohn Health System, Doctors Regional Medical Center, Methodist Healthcare Ministries, Radiology Associates, Radiology & Imaging, Timon's Ministries, and Wesley Nurses. In our current fiscal year, we anticipate receiving $1,465,000 in donated goods and services from a wide range of collaborators."
Check out the links below for more information about Mission of Mercy Inc.
Stay connected with 3News for the latest news, sports, and weather. Download the KIII-TV 3News app now.