CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Two local Toyota dealerships donated a Corolla to Del Mar College's Automotive Applied Technology Program.
While automobile donations may not be new things for Del Mar, the program receiving a model as new as a 2018 is.
The donation, made by AutoNation Toyota Corpus Christi and Mike Shaw Toyota, will allow the students to be able to get hands-on experience fixing newer vehicle models as part of their training to become technicians and mechanics.
"We need to be able to train the students on the types of cars and technology that is currently out there," said Mary McQueen, Executive Director of Development for Del Mar College. "We have to be able to make sure that they have the tools that they need."
In addition to the car, an additional $15,000 donation will go toward scholarships. Del Mar's program allows students to graduate with a Toyota technician certification.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- Accident claims the life of Kiewit scaffold builder working on offshore rig
- Dogs in shelter for 60+ days looking to find a forever home
- From Texas, with love: Here's how you can help those affected by Hurricane Ian
- Are CC business' COVID relief grants legitimate? Better Business Bureau weighs in
- Her girlfriend was killed and she was left for dead in a brutal attack at a Texas park. A new documentary outlines the story of her recovery.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for your daily news and exclusive extended interviews.
Want to send us a news tip?
Put your name and contact information below so we can get in touch with you about your story should we have questions or need more information. We realize some stories are sensitive in nature. Let us know if you'd like to remain anonymous.
If you do not have a photo/video to submit, just click "OK" to skip that prompt.