The U.S. Department of Education announced Tuesday that they have reinstated year-round Pell grants allowing full-time college students who qualify to pay for summer classes with federal dollars.

For the last six years, the government only offered Pell grants for the fall and spring semesters.

To apply for a Pell grant or to see if you qualify, you must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which can be found at

Stay connected with 3News for the latest news, sports, and weather. Download the KIII-TV 3News app now.

Have an idea for a story? Send news tips to, and visit us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!