NUECES COUNTY, Texas — The Weekend Recap
The Novel Coronavirus
- Nueces County reported 1,171 new coronavirus cases on Sunday. City leaders say the majority of these cases come from a state data drop.
- Port Aransas no longer enforcing the Nueces County beach closure order, Mayor Bujan says.
- VERIFY: Was there a crocodile spotted in Port Aransas?
- One boat, two unoccupied jet skis involved in an accident on Padre Island near Fortuna Bay. A boat ran into the two unoccupied jet skis, causing damage totaling over $2,000.
- According to a social media post, the Padre Island National Seashore is planning to open within the next two weeks.
- Man facing potential murder charges after an assault in downtown Corpus Christi Friday night. Police say the assault was not a random act. The men know each other.
- Skidmore-Tyan suspends football and volleyball practices after student-athletes test positive for the coronavirus.
- CCISD: First day of school is August 13. Does your child prefer online or in-person classes once campuses reopen? Let CCISD know.
- Some parents say there aren’t enough devices being provided for their children to work from home.
- Fatal crash near Calallen along County Road 48. A 61-year-old male was pronounced dead at the scene.
Moment of Hope
- Anonymous donor offers to fully pay for funeral expenses for a local man who lost his wife.
- Pilot lands in Nueces County to pick up two abandoned dogs due to the pandemic and flies them to their new foster home.
- Whether it's donating school supplies and toys to children or making friendship bracelets for families fighting COVID, one local student is spreading hope.
- TAMUCC Marine Biology Professor to be featured on Discovery Channel's 'Shark Week' on August 12
- District 1 Council Member Everett Roy, Mayor Joe McComb, City Manager Peter Zanoni, and city staff will be available to discuss the Fiscal Year (FY) 2021 proposed budget with District 1 residents from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.