CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — UPDATE:
A long-awaited road construction project on one of the busiest local streets is said to be one step closer to completion tonight.
The more than 14-million-dollar Everhart road construction project reached a milestone when contractors poured 210-cubic tons of fresh concrete between Curtis Clark and Corona Drive.
Brett Van Hazel, with the city's engineering department says the project is right on schedule.
"We allow concrete to cure up to 28 days. During that time, we'll take multiple samples to see how the concrete is curing to make sure it meets strength requirements,” said Van Hazel.
The city hopes to open that stretch of road to traffic sometime next month.
As part of the project, the west side of Everhart Road, the southbound lanes, are now closed for reconstruction from Holly Road to Bonner Drive.
Phase 3 construction announcement August 3,2020:
Contractors are finishing phase 2 of the Everhart Road Project between Curtis Clark Drive and Corona Drive.
Phase 3 begins Wednesday, August 5. Northbound and southbound traffic will be transitioned to the new constructed street on the east side between Holly Road and Bonner Drive.
Drivers should expect the following lane closures:
- Everhart Road will remain reduced to one-lane, in each direction, between Corona Drive and Holly Road.
- Southbound traffic, between SPID and Corona Drive will remain reduced to one-lane approaching the intersection at Corona Drive.
- The east side of Everhart Road (northbound lanes) will be remain closed to complete reconstruction from Curtis Clark Drive to Corona Drive (Phase 2).
- The west side of Everhart Road (southbound lanes) will be closed for reconstruction from Holly Road to Bonner Drive for construction (Begins Wednesday August 5).
- Traffic switch to the newly constructed concrete pavement section will occur between Bonner Drive and Curtis Clark Drive.
- Left turns from southbound Everhart Road will still be restricted at Holly Road, Bonner Drive and Curtis Clark Drive.
- Left turns from northbound Everhart Road will be restricted at Bonner Drive, Curtis Clark Drive and Corona Drive.
- Sidewalks will continue to be closed along Phase 2 until the completion of the phase.
- Sidewalks will be closed within the limits of Phase 3 until the completion of the phase.