CORPUS CHRISTI (ISLANDERS ATHLETICS) — Story Headlines
- The Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi men's basketball team fell to Texas State, 61-55, on Wednesday night at the American Bank Center in Corpus Christi, Texas.
- The Islanders fall to 4-5 on the year while the Bobcats improved to 8-1.
- Jashawn Talton led the Islanders with 12 points. He hit a pair of three pointers and finished the night shooting 5-of-6 from the field with a pair of rebounds.
Key Islander Statistics
- Texas A&M-Corpus Christi grabbed 31 rebounds and had 10 on the offensive boards, leading to five second-chance points.
- The Islander bench outscored the Bobcats' bench, 28-26.
- Defensively, A&M-Corpus Christi held Texas State to just one made three pointer on the evening and forced 17 turnovers while recording seven steals.
- Tre Gray finished with 10 points on 5-of-6 shooting. He had three assists and also recorded a steal in 18 minutes.
- Tony Lewis hit 4-of-7 shot attemked shot.
- Kareem South grabbed four rebounds and finished with five points and one assist.pts and hit both his free throw attempts to finish with 10 points. He had a team-high eight rebounds, three blocked shots and an assist. Three of his rebounds came on the offensive end.
- Emmanuel Toney tied a career-high with five steals, a mark he set back in 2015 against Central Arkansas.
- Jake Babic tied Gray with a team-high three assists He scored three points on the evening.
- Myles Smith had five points and five rebounds, four coming on the offensive end. He added an assist and a bloc
- The game featured nine lead changes and eight ties.
Key Islander Sequence
- Midway through the second half, the Islanders' defense sparked a quick 6-0 run that gave the Islanders a lead. With 12:10 remaining, Toney came up with a steal and finished with a layup on the other end to pull A&M-Corpus Christi to within one, 36-35. The Islanders then forced three-straight defensive stops as Irshaad Hunte and Toney recorded steals on back-to-back possessions and Lewis stepped up with a big blocked shot on the baseline to give the ball back to A&M-Corpus Christi. Gray would give the Islanders the lead with a layup at 9:54 to make it 37-36. A Texas State turnover gave the ball back and Gray again came up with a driving layup through traffic to extend the lead to 39-36.
- Lewis' three blocked shots tied a season-high.
- The Bobcats' 18 made field goals tied for the second-lowest mark against the Islanders this season and the one made three-pointer is the lowest mark this year.
- Toney's five steals were the most by an Islander player this season.
- Wednesday was Lewis' third game in double figures and Talton's second. Gray has scored 10 or more points twice this year and six times in his career.
- Gray's three assists was a career-high for the sophomore.
- The Islanders will break for fall exams before returning on Tuesday, Dec. 18, against Huston Tillotson at 7:30 p.m.. The game is part of a doubleheader at the American Bank Center with the women taking on New Mexico State at 5:30 p.m. The game will be broadcasted on the Islanders Digital Network, powered by AEP Texas. Tickets for the game can be purchased HERE.
- For all the latest on Islanders Men's Basketball, be sure to follow the team on Twitter (@IslandersMBB), Instagram (@IslandersMBB) and like the team's official Facebook page (IslandersMBB).
Stay connected with 3News for the latest news, sports, and weather. Download the KIII-TV 3News app now.