CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Story Headlines
- The Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi men's tennis team captured the 2019 Southland Conference Tennis Tournament Championship on Saturday with a 4-3 win over Abilene Christian at the Thomas J Henry Tennis Center.
- The Islanders are now 19-8 overall on the season while the Wildcats end the season at 22-5.
- 2019 marks the eighth trip to the NCAA Tournament for the men. As a program, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi has qualified for 10 NCAA Tournaments under Director of Tennis Steve Moore and 11 all time.
- A&M-Corpus Christi got off to a fast start, taking the double's point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2.
- William Mottet and Thomas Rodrigues Lopes got the deciding win during a tie break, 7-3.
- In singles, Okkie Kellerman gave the Islanders a 2-0 lead with a straight-set win at No. 5.
- Kyohei Yamanaka put the team within a point of victory at No.6 singles, winning 6-2, 6-3.
- But ACU stormed back, winning points at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 to force a deciding match at No. 4 singles.
- Carlos Pedrosa Cuevas fell behind early, dropping the first set, 6-1.
- In the second set, Pedrosa again fell behind and faced a pair of match points but he fought them off and won the set in a tie break, 7-6 (7-4).
- In the decisive third set, Pedrosa fought off ACU's Dimitris Azoides for a 6-3 win, giving the Islanders the 2019 tournament title.
Men's Match Results
1. Josh Sheehy (ACU) def. William Mottet (AMCC) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
2. Jonathan Sheehy (ACU) def. Francois Kellerman (AMCC) 6-4, 6-3
3. Nikolas Moceanu (ACU) def. Thomas Rodrigues Lopes (AMCC) 1-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Carlos Pedrosa Cuevas (AMCC) def. Dimitris Azoides (ACU) 1-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
5. Okkie Kellerman (AMCC) def. Riley Tran (ACU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Kyohei Yamanaka (AMCC) def. Sebastian Langdon (ACU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Okkie Kellerman/Francois Kellerman (AMCC) def. Jonathan Sheehy/Josh Sheehy (ACU) 6-1
2. William Mottet/Thomas Rodrigues Lopes (AMCC) def. Cole Lawson/Jackson Fine (ACU) 7-6 (7-3)
3. Nikolas Moceanu/Riley Tran (ACU) def. Thibault Frumholz/Kyohei Yamanaka (AMCC) 6-3
History of Success
- As a program, the Islanders have reached 10 NCAA Tournaments in program history and captured 22 Southland titles in the last 12 years. The men have now qualified for their eighth NCAA Tournament appearance in program history.
- The Islanders will await their next opponent which will be announced during the NCAA Division I Men's Tennis Selection Show on Monday, April 29, at 6 p.m. EST on NCAA.com.
- For more information on Islanders Tennis, follow the team on Twitter (@IslandersTennis), Instagram (@IslandersTennis) and like their Facebook page (Islanders Tennis).