CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Story Headlines
- The Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi baseball team defeated the University of Texas, 8-2, on Tuesday evening at Whataburger Field.
- The Islanders improved to 28-20 overall while the Longhorns fell to 25-22.
- The game at Whataburger Field, the home of the Corpus Christi Hooks, was presented by RBFCU and had 4,012 fans in attendance.
- Tuesday marked the first win for the Islanders against Texas in Corpus Christi in five tries. Texas leads the all-time series 20-5 and 4-1 in Corpus Christi.
- Four Islander pitchers held the Longhorns to just two runs on four hits. The staff only walked two and struck out seven.
- Zach Rumfield retired all 12 batters he faced between the third and sixth innings. His perfect four innings of work included four strikeouts and zero walks.
- Every Islander batter who came to the plate reached safely during Tuesday night's game.
Key Islander Statistics
- The Islanders scored two in the second, two in the fifth, two in the seventh and two in the eighth. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi had eight runs on nine hits with one error. The team drew nine walks.
- Texas had two runs on four hits with two errors. The Longhorns scored twice in the first inning.
- At one point, the Islander pitchers retired 18 straight Texas hitters between the second and eighth innings. The Longhorns went down in order in the third, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh innings.
- Mike Williams was 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- Drake Osborn was 1-for-2 with a pair of walks. He drove in a run, scored once and stole a base.
- Enrique Sanchez Jr. was 1-for-3 with an RBI and a pair of runs scored. He had a stolen base and drew a pair of walks.
- Luke Marbach was 1-for-3 with two RBIs and a run scored. He drew two walk on the evening.
- Cole Fluta went 1-for-3 with a walk, a stolen base and a run scored.
- Nick Anderson went 1-for-4 with a double and a run scored.
- Itchy Burts went 1-for-4 with an RBI triple. He drew a walk and scored two runs in the ballgame.
- Trevor Beard reached on a walk to lead off the fourth.
- Tyler Miller worked 2.0 innings of scoreless relief. He allowed just one hit while striking out two. He set the Longhorns down in order in the seventh and retired the first two batters he face in the eighth.
- Dustin Lacaze worked a perfect ninth inning, recording one strikeout without allowing a walk or a hit.
- The Islanders had a baserunner in every inning except the first.
Key Islander Innings
- In the second, Marbach drew a leadoff walk and went to second on a sacrifice bunt. After a groundout, Osborn drew a walk and stole second. Jeffries came up with a two RBI single to left center to tie the game, 2-2.
- Fluta led off the fifth with a single and went to second on another well executed sacrifice bunt. After a groundout, Sanchez Jr. drew a walk and after a double steal, Marbach hit a two RBI single up the middle to drive in Fluta and Sanchez Jr., to extend the lead to 4-2.
- Burts and Sanchez Jr. drew back-to-back walks to start the seventh. Burts went to third on a flyout and came in to score on a Williams bunt single. After a strikeout, Osborn hit an RBI single to left center to score Sanchez Jr.
- With one down in the eighth, Anderson doubled to left center and came in to score on a Burts triple that rolled into the right field corner. Sanchez Jr. singled in Burts in the next at bat with a hit to left to give the A&M-Corpus Christi an 8-2 lead.