CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — A portion of Interstate 37, north and southbound lanes, will be closed this weekend due to the Harbor Bridge Project, and drivers will want to find an alternate route.
From 9 p.m. Friday until noon Sunday, all northbound and southbound IH 37 mainlanes will be closed from Port Avenue to Staples Street.
"The weekend closure is necessary to switch traffic onto new IH 37 mainlanes and continue progressing with the new interchange construction," a statement from project officials said.
Here's how you can get around the closure:
- Motorists heading northbound on IH 37 from US 181 can access southbound SH 286 or continue towards Calallen by taking the Port Avenue exit and remain on the Martin Luther King Drive frontage road to reenter IH 37 at Stillman Avenue.
- Motorists heading northbound on IH 37 from the Bayfront area will follow the detour signs to Chaparral Street, Belden Street, N Tancahua, and remain on the Martin Luther King Drive frontage road to reenter IH 37 at Stillman Avenue.
- Motorists heading southbound on IH 37 to southbound SH 286 will follow the detour signs to Port Avenue, Comanche Street, and the SH 286 frontage road.
- Motorists heading southbound on IH 37 to the Bayfront area will follow the detour as written above to southbound SH 286, make a U-turn at Tarlton Avenue, and head northbound on SH 286 to the northbound US 181 and Staples Street exit.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- Young adult book set in Corpus Christi hit #1 on an Amazon list... and it hasn't even been released yet
- Her new Reality: 3NEWS speaks with ex-NSA whistleblower about her decision to leak documents
- South Texas scientists say lack of pigmentation is killing off flounder population
- City hopes new plan for residential street repairs will streamline projects
- City cracking down on spaying and neutering of pets
- Jimmy Kimmel invites Jason Grosboll, aka 'Popcorn Guy', to Oscars
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for your daily news and exclusive extended interviews.
Do you have a news tip? Tell 3!
Email email@example.com so we can get in touch with you about your story should we have questions or need more information. We realize some stories are sensitive in nature. Let us know if you'd like to remain anonymous.