CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — The Nueces County Medical Examiner's Office has identified the pregnant woman who died in a car crash on Tuesday, Dec. 29.
Destiny Cortinas, 25, died after the driver of the car she was a passenger in accelerated in a parking lot on the 7100 block of South Padre Island Drive and hit a building.
Cortinas had to be rescued by the Corpus Christi Fire Department along with the two other occupants of the car, including a minor child, Corpus Christi police officials said. Cortinas was taken into emergency surgery but later died, officials said.
Cortinas was pregnant and an emergency C-section was performed and the infant was last reported to be in stable condition.
Investigators say the driver appeared to be under the influence of an unknown substance. The driver is expected to be arrested upon release from the hospital. The wreck is still under investigation.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- Corpus Christi police shoot alleged home intruder on Juniper Dr.
- Two arrested after new Cole Park Pier was vandalized overnight
- 'The cases are surging right now': Nueces County seeing an increase in COVID-19 positivity rate
- Breakthrough cases a concern as COVID-19 surges ahead of holidays
- $1 million lawsuit filed against woman who pulled gun on driver in parking lot dispute
Want to send us a news tip?
Put your name and contact information below so we can get in touch with you about your story should we have questions or need more information. We realize some stories are sensitive in nature. Let us know if you'd like to remain anonymous.
If you do not have a photo/video to submit, just click "OK" to skip that prompt.