CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — The USS Lexington Museum was honored by the military order of the Purple Heart, Chapter 598, with a special proclamation designating the Lexington as a Purple Heart Museum.
The Purple Heart is the oldest military award given to U.S. military service members. And also, one of the first offered to all ranks in the military, first ever awarded back in 1932.
And the rest of them to be awarded in the Coastal Bend was in 1992.
"Is an honor that the Lexington is recognizing the purple heart personnel. Some gave all and all gave some," said Vietnam War veteran Amado Gonzalez. "The purple heart being honored by a parking spot. Its an honor it really is."
The USS Lexington thanks all of those who made the designation possible.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- Mary Carroll High School alumni say goodbye to the old campus, "Once a Tiger, always a Tiger"
- High temperatures in Texas affect marine life as the water heats up
- CCISD looking to introduce new gun detecting technology into schools
- 'You're going to be held accountable': Two arrested for posting threat toward Aransas County schools
- Family waits months to receive death certificate from NuCo Medical Examiner's Office
- 'Incredibly emotional': Corpus Christi father, daughter funeral service workers on front lines in Uvalde
- Need to beat the heat? Here is a list of cooling centers in Corpus Christi
- Coastal Bend Pride Center continues to grow their efforts and resources
- Uvalde victim had her heart set on attending Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. They're now setting up a scholarship in her name.
Want to send us a news tip?
Put your name and contact information below so we can get in touch with you about your story should we have questions or need more information. We realize some stories are sensitive in nature. Let us know if you'd like to remain anonymous.
If you do not have a photo/video to submit, just click "OK" to skip that prompt.