CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — The crew on a local deep-sea fishing charter came upon a rare sight in the Gulf of Mexico on Monday.
Gulf Magic Fishing’s Alexus Broome and Addison Smith said they were only six miles off the coast of Port Aransas fishing when they saw a large dark spot swimming below them in the water.
The two say it took them a second to figure out what it was, and then they realized a whale shark was swimming just below them.
The two grabbed their cameras and captured some incredible video.
Whale sharks are most often found off the coasts of Mexico, Belize, Thailand, South America, and Australia.
Broome and Smith said they can't believe how close it was to the Texas shore and in such shallow water.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- Bishop High School assistant coach killed in car crash
- Body of missing pastor Phillip Loveday found in truck
- Corpus Christi cyclists say they were assaulted by aggressive drivers during group ride
- State-supported living center employee arrested for beating man with severe intellectual disability
- Mathis resident claims $1 million Powerball prize
- Here's what that strange 'cloud' was in the night sky in South Texas
- Here's when you can watch the 2023 solar eclipse over Corpus Christi
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for your daily news and exclusive extended interviews.
Do you have a news tip? Tell 3!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can get in touch with you about your story should we have questions or need more information. We realize some stories are sensitive in nature. Let us know if you'd like to remain anonymous.